Are you a counsellor, psychotherapist or psychologist?

btn join

ACC for sexual abuse

ACC pays for counselling for people who have been affected by sexual violence.

Who is eligible?

Any adult or child who experiences sexual violence in New Zealand, and in some cases NZ residents who experience sexual violence overseas.
  • sexual violence includes most forms of sexual violation, rape, unwanted sexual contact, or indecent assault on an adult
  • ALL sexual contact with children
  • female genital mutilation
  • it doesn't matter how long ago it happened ACC will support you when you are ready
  • you DO NOT have to report the event to the Police to get counselling from ACC for sexual violence. 
Everybody has a different response to the abuse they suffered. For example you might be depressed, anxious, have sexual problems, not be able to trust people, abuse drugs or alcohol, have nightmares or flashbacks, have relationship problems, or just feel unsafe. if you are unsure whether you meet ACC criteria talk to an ACC counsellor about your situation.


How much will it cost me?

ACC pays the full cost of counselling for sexual violence. (Note that ACC will not pay for counselling for problems it does not consider were caused by the sexual violence.)


Can I see any counsellor?

ACC will only pay for counselling provided by an ACC Registered Counsellor. 

You can find an ACC registered counsellor near you by:  

How do I apply for ACC counselling?

The first thing to do is to make contact with an ACC Counsellor (see above), they will explain the process to you. You don't have to wait for ACC to process your claim, you can start therapy straight away. You can choose how long you want counselling for. You can take a break and come back to counselling at a later time, and it is okay to change counsellors if you want someone who suits you better.
Longer term counselling with ACC
You and your therapist may decide you need support for a longer time. This will require a supported assessment to be done. Because every case is different, talk to your therapist about what will be in the assessment. The assessor and therapist will be there to support you and make sure you’re as comfortable as possible. You will be able to go through the assessment report and agree on its content with the assessor and your therapist, before it goes to ACC. They will use the report to confirm what longer term support you need, and to help make a decision on your claim. 

All reports are assessed by the ACC Sensitive Claims Unit, where they are treated confidentially and kept secure. 


If I want counselling for sexual abuse do I have to see an ACC counsellor?

You only have to see an ACC counsellor if you want ACC to pay for your therapy. There are many counsellors, psychotherapists, and psychologists who provide excellent treatment for sexual abuse who choose not to register with ACC. Likewise, some clients prefer not to put in an ACC claim and to pay for their counselling themselves.


The ACC Website

The ACC website has full information on how to make a claim for counselling for sexual abuse » click here for more details

To find an ACC counsellor near you
arrow-10click here for a nationwide list of organisations that provide ACC registered counsellors