Are you a counsellor, psychotherapist or psychologist?

btn join

Mental Health Services available through your Doctor

The government has allocated some funding to pay for counselling for people with addiction issues and/or mild to moderate mental illness (don't feel frightened by the words "mental illness" mild to moderate means ordinary people suffering from normal types of emotional or psychological stress).

The criteria for accessing the funding and what kind of treatment you can access varies depending which PHO your Doctor belongs to, so you need to ask your GP what is available in your area.

In general:
  • all young people aged 12 to 19 years should be able to get some sort of free mental health services
  • Māori, Pacific and/or people with low incomes have a higher priority for available funding.