Children, adolescents, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Expert areas: Sexual abuse, child abuse, Domestic Violence, mental health and addiction, drug, alcohol, tobacco, cross-culture, LGBTQIA+, loss &grief and trauma. Ai has also had a Triple P certificate and can provide parenting advice.
I had worked at Taylors College as an attendance officer in the student welfare office and has a passion to provide counselling service for international students not only for Japanese but other ethnicities, too. I provide counselling both in NZ and Japan by face to face, phone and Zoom.
I believe the relationship between the client and myself is equal and therapeutic by the holistic perspective, which means we create your new counselling journey with a comfortable and safe environment. I use my own life experience and work experience as a social worker and counsellor to combine different interventions. My basic concept of counselling comes from Morita therapy and Naikkan therapy. These two therapies will gain your resilience and guide you to start your new life. To sustain the effective and safe practice, I refer to other counselling models and theories such as Person-centr ed therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Transition Analysis, Art therapy. I always check your preference and progress not only by us but also by my supervisor in confidentiality.
Intervention: Person-centred therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Transition Analysis, Art therapy, Morita therapy and Naikan therapy.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Christian Counsellors Association (MNZCCA)
- Registered Social Worker, Japanese Social Workers Association
- ACC Registered Counsellor
- Master of Arts (Counselling, University of Auckland)
- Diploma in Counselling
- Bachelor of Sociology (University of Momoyama, Japan)
- National Certification in Health, Disability, and Aged Support Core Competencies
- Certificate of Triple P (Parenting trainer /facilitator)
- Certified Stop Smoking Programme Practitioner
- Bachelor of Arts (Food and Science)
Background and Experience
- Have trained and worked as a social worker and counsellor since 1997
- My private practice work involves individual counselling, couple, family, seminars and workshops (e.g, Self-esteem, boundary)
- Worked at Women's refuge in Japan and other services as a social worker in Japan
- Worked at Lifeline, Shine (Domestic Violence Centre), MIT Manukau (lecturer) and other social services
- Currently working at EAP, Community mental health service, Shakti Women's centre, CNSST
- Got an award for Outstanding Perseverance at Lifeway College in Dec 2008
- Worked for international students' since 2011. (Counselling, advocate, agent job)