Children, adolescents, adults.
Areas of Special Interest
Autism Diagnosis, ADHD Diagnosis, and psychotherapy to assist with Autism and / ADHD issues. Diagnosis and treatment of PTSD, or adverse events such as childhood trauma, relationship breakdown, natural disasters or other distressing life experiences.
Specialist diagnostic services:
I use a number of evidence based therapies with my main theraputic approach using:
- Mental health (incl PTSD, dissociation)
- Eye Movement and Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
I have been trained to an advanced level, and can work with dissociative clientele. EMDR therapy is an effective and efficient method that is supported by solid research and practice based results. This therapy has a strong success rate in assisting people to process past adverse events which interferes with everyday living with maladaptive memories that drive stuck negative emotions, behaviours and physical sensations. EMDR therapy is not only an excellent treatment for PTSD, but is an effective and efficient treatment for many issues such as complex grief, anxiety, attachment traumas (which develop from painful childhood experiences and negative parental interactions), over coming fears, and even help with healing a broken heart.
Other therapeutic models that I currently use (yet to a lessor degree) and am trained in include:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT)
- Positive Parenting Programme (Triple P)
It takes a lot of courage to seek assistance for your emotional distress. Pain is pain, whether it is struggling with an end of a relationship to suffering from a childhood of terrible experiences, sometimes these events creates a vicious cycle of interfering memories, negative emotions and intolerable physical sensations that just will not go away.
I will work with you to get to the root of the cause of the current distress, and the ongoing triggers, behaviours, and negative thoughts that causes this distress to continue. Then together we will come up with a therapy plan to process the cause so that your current distress will fade and reclaim your life in a more meaningful and satisfying way.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychologist
- Member of the New Zealand Psychological Society (MNZPsS)
- ACC Registered Psychologist
- Member of the Australasian Association for Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Member of the New Zealand Emotionally Focused Therapy Community Incorporated
- Member of the New Zealand Association for EMDR Therapists
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Psychology (Massey University)
- Postgraduate Diploma of Psychological Practice (Massey University)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (Hons)
Background and Experience
I have 5 years post doctorate experience in private practice working with trauma, mental health, and autism. I have trained to a high level in several different therapeutic models in the treatment of trauma. Another area that is becoming more predominate in my practice is working with Autistic clientele with diagnosis of all ages, providing therapy for this clientele base with mental health issues, and assistance with how to navigate their way in a difficult neuro-typical world.