Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety, depression, stress, trauma, grief, relationship issues, sexuality, gender identity, sleep, personal development, concern for others.
If you feel stuck or down, confused, distressed, or anxious and you aren’t sure what to do, or if you need help making a tough decision, or just want someone to talk to that is outside of your everyday life, counselling could be helpful for you.
So often external pressures get the best of us and we lose sight of who we want to be and how we ended up where we are, so we feel stuck or lost. Often we aren’t sure why we even feel this way! Counselling can be incredibly helpful for any issue, I create a space where you can focus just on yourself without any external pressures, sometimes talking it through is all that is needed and sometimes you may need some extra tools to help. I am here to help you stay afloat and figure out what you want out of life, both with large issues and day to day struggles.
If you want to feel stronger, calmer, less stressed, or happier in yourself and with your life then counselling could be helpful for you.
My room is in a beautiful calm and quiet garden setting close to central wellington; just up the cable car from Lampton Quay or a short walk up the road from Victoria University.
You can come in for just one session if you want to and see whether we are a good fit or whether counselling is right for you.
I think it is important for counselling to be a collaborative process, and I have various tools on hand that you may find helpful also:
- Mindfulness – coming into the present moment and stepping outside of the problem for calming relief.
- Person Centred Therapy – helping you to feel understood and connected to yourself and your core values and feelings.
- Narrative Therapy – helping you to understand your life story, the themes in your life and the beliefs you hold, and freeing up space for you to decide if you are happy with them.
- Solution Focused Therapy – helping us to determine elements of your life that you are happy with and how to build on those elements for greater satisfaction.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Provisional Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (ProvMNZAC)
- Bachelor of Arts: Psychology
- Diploma in Applied Social Services: Counselling Specialty
Background and Experience
I have over 10 years experience with research, work, and supervision related to psychology and the field of mental health, and also mindfulness and meditation practices.
I have several years experience counselling people from all walks of life on a wide range of issues, and have supervised others working in various mental health fields.
I started off working in Dunedin through the University of Otago and Otago Polytechnic, both with members of the general public and students, and more recently worked with students through the Victoria University Student Health Service.
I have provided supervision in the past to students studying various health and wellbeing related qualifications.
I am not offering supervision at this time.