Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety, depression, trauma, grief, relationship issues, mental health issues, sexuality, gender identity, sexual issues, sleep issues, personal development, troubling emotions, stress, abuse, concern for others, illness or disability.
Do you feel stuck or down, confused, distressed, or anxious and you aren’t sure what to do? Maybe you need help making a tough decision, or just want someone to talk to that is outside of your everyday life?
So often external pressures get the best of us and we lose sight of who we want to be and how we ended up where we are, so we feel stuck or lost. Often we aren’t sure why we even feel this way! Counselling can be incredibly helpful for any issue, and sometimes talking it through is all that is needed. I am here to help you stay afloat and figure out what you want out of life, both with large issues and day to day struggles.
If you want to feel stronger, calmer, less stressed, or happier in yourself and with your life then counselling could be helpful for you
My room is in a beautiful calm and quiet garden setting close to central wellington – just up the cable car from Lampton Quay or a short walk up the road from Victoria University
You can come in for just one session if you want to, and I offer a free 30 minute introductory session so you can see if you are comfortable with me first, I know that counselling can seem daunting :)
I think it is important for counselling to be a collaborative process, and I have various tools on hand that you may find helpful also:
- Mindfulness – coming into the present moment and stepping outside of the problem for calming relief
- Person Centered Therapy – helping you to feel understood and connected to yourself and your values and feelings
- Narrative Therapy – helping you to understand the themes in your life and the beliefs you hold, and freeing up space for you to decide if you are happy with them
- Solution Focused Therapy – helping us to determine elements of your life that you are happy with and how to build on those elements for more satisfaction
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Provisional Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (ProvMNZAC)
- Bachelor of Arts: Psychology
- Diploma in Applied Social Services: Counselling Specialty
Background and Experience
I have over 10 years experience with research, work, and supervision related to psychology and the field of mental health, and also mindfulness and meditation practices
I have several years experience counselling people form all walks of life on a wide range of issues, and have supervised others working in various mental health fields
I started off working in Dunedin through the University of Otago and Otago Polytechnic, both with members of the general public and students, and more recently worked with students through the Victoria University Student Health Service.
The feedback I have generally received from clients is that they have found counselling to be very helpful and they are sad when I have left for another service.
I have provided supervision in the past to students studying various health and wellbeing related qualifications.