Areas of Special Interest
Grief and loss, depression, post natal depression, anxiety and fears, emotional abuse, social phobia, self esteem, spiritual development, separation and divorce, managing life changes or physical illness.
I am passionate about walking alongside those who are going through a season of change brought on by grief and loss, disappointment, change, stress and other life challenges.
Problems can often leave us feeling depressed, overwhelmed, disillusioned, confused or helpless. I believe strongly in the resilience we all carry and would love to work with you to assist you to reconnect with hope and have the confidence to move forward. Counselling is a place you can feel safe and accepted, sharing your heart without fear of judgement.
I work from several different methods depending on your preference and personality:
- I am client-centred working in a way that is comfortable for you and sits with your beliefs and values.
- A Narrative perspective is a way of working that separates the person from the problem. It favours the view that people have their own answers and works in a way that empowers individuals to access this power.
- CBT or Cognitive Behaviour Therapy looks at the thinking processes that may be holding you back.
- Interactive Drawing Therapy (IDT) works with images which can bring added clarity and insight.
- Te Whare Tapu Wha is a Maori health model which views a person as a whole considering emotional, physical, social and spiritual aspects.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Bachelors in Counselling
- Certificate in Grief and Loss
- Certificate in Stress Management
- Certificate in Business Communication
Background and Experience
I carry a lifelong interest in health and well-being having worked as a Karitane Nurse for many years in both rural and city areas around New Zealand. In later years Hospice work has featured extensively both at Waipuna Hospice in Tauranga and more recently Hibiscus Hospice, Red Beach supporting patients and families facing the loss and grief of a terminal illness. As a counsellor I have gained experience working with many different cultures and ethnicities enjoying the diversity this brings. Alongside my private practice, I am currently working as the grief support person for Forrest Funeral Services. You will also find me at The Rosa Counselling Trust in Orewa.