Children, adolescents, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
ASSESSMENTS (Cognitive & Psycho-educational). SPECIAL ASSESSMENT CONDITIONS (assistive tech, reader/writer exam support). OTHER REFERRALS (ADHD, ASD, ECE concerns, childhood anxiety, aggression etc.). PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (Behaviour, Parenting)
I use the best of what current psychology tells us about how our minds work and learn to support people in our local community. I bring psychology and the Coromandel Peninsula community together to provide a place for children and adults to develop the social, emotional, and behavioural tools they need for success at a certain point and time in their lives.
I work hand-in-hand with community based professionals (medical practitioners, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, counsellors etc.), educational professionals (school leadership, teachers, teacher aides, Early Childhood Education Centres) to provide psychological services on the Coromandel Peninsula.
I am a registered Psychologist and Specialist Teacher of Learning and Behaviour. I am fortunate to have a wide variety of expertise and experience working in the areas of:
- Early Childhood Concerns
- Parenting Support
- Specific Learning Difficulties (dyslexia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia)
- Mood Issues (Separation Anxiety, Selective Mutism, School Refusal)
- Organizational Difficulties
- Social Skills and Social Understanding issues etc.
I believe in a multi-disciplinary approach. I use current best-practice and documented intervention to assist young people and their families. Family involvement is absolutely critical to ensure the success of any person with academic, emotional, and/or behavioural difficulties.
Confidentiality and privacy is strictly upheld (subject to the Privacy Act 1993 and the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003), and I only communicate with other providers and organisations upon your consent and written request.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychologist
- Registered Specialist Teacher (Learning and Behaviour)
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology & Education)
- Graduate Diploma (Education)
- Honours Degree (Children's Psychology)
- PGDip (Education: Special Needs Resource Teaching)
- Masters Degree (Educational Psychology)
- Post Masterate Diploma (Educational Psychology)
Background and Experience
I am a registered and practicing psychologist since 2011. I am also a registered and experienced Resource Teacher (Learning and Behaviour Specialisation).
My approach to intervention is an understanding that psychological support is also a process of learning, processing and practicing. It is the process of unpacking, recognising and understanding until the individual becomes deeply familiar with the presenting issue. Long standing, deep seated issues do not “go away” after a single discussion, but rather by practicing new learned strategies and behaviours with increased automaticity and ease over time.
I provide professional supervision to fellow psychologists, teachers, RTLB and SWiS. I have supervised Masters level students in Psychology.
I have presented professional learning/development and workshops to early childhood centres, school staff and parents on a number of topics. These topics include:
- specific learning difficulties
- the function of undesired behaviour
- children’s anxiety and selective mutism
- auditory processing disorder
- safe physical restraint (MAPA)
- children presenting with undesired sexualised behaviour
REFEREES WHO WILL COMMENT ON THE ABOVE ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST