Adults, couples, families.
Areas of Special Interest
Emotional regulation, Stress management, Anxiety, Depression, Behavioural difficulties, Educational difficulties, Work/Life Balance, Restoring relationships, Relationship difficulties, Mindfulness practices and Narrative or Collaborative therapies.
I bring to my counselling practice a width and breadth of experience that was developed initially in the primary and then secondary school settings. After this I moved into working within community agencies and now I work across a range of settings. I'm always interested in discovering where people have come from, so you may be able to learn where you might wish to get to....
Any work (mahi) will also seek to work and awhi (support) the hopes and dreams that anyone brings to counselling. I am accountable to my clients and aim to support each client to attain their therapeutic goals. At the end of any session, I'm interested in what it will look like or what will be happening outside of counselling to support any preferred changes for my clients. Increasing the range of options for people is a priority. As a counsellor, I operate from a specific ethical position in my work under the umbrella of the NZAC Code of Ethics.
I bring to any engagement the 20 or so years of experience I have in working within community agencies and schools. I enjoy working with adults, couples, children and families alike. Relationship difficulties, restoring relationships and work-related stresses are present areas of interest for myself.
In this service the work may involve working with people on the issues they face in a strengths-based, solution-focused manner. I'll work from the viewpoint that "The problem is the problem, the person is not the problem." Any therapy though will involve a thoughtful process with a positive regard for everyone. The work I do usually involves the setting of goals for that client that we then work towards in any work we do together.
As a therapist I'm interested in the stories that people have to tell and in supporting a mindful presence for people. I'm open-minded to complex situations and am interested in how contextual influences, like emotions, do impact on couple relationships and family systems.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Registered Teacher NZTC (until March 2019)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Commerce
Background and Experience
- Relationships Aotearoa Practitioner (Before closure) in 2015
- Barnardos NMDHB Child Counsellor contractor - 2015
- EAP provider as a Counsellor - 2013-2016
- Marlborough PHO PMHI Counsellor - 2013-2018
- Masters' studies at Waikato University - 2011-2016
- Marlborough Boys' College Guidance Counsellor - 2012-2014
- Auckland Catholic Social Services Counsellor contractor - 2012
- Avondale College Guidance Counsellor - 2011
- Family Works Family Counsellor - 2009-2011
- Primary school teacher - 1996-2006
I'm interested in supervising staff working within education, human resources, health sector and social services