Children, adolescents, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
I work with a broad range of issues and with clients of all ages and genders. I specialise in couples and family work. I particularly enjoy creating a safe space where couples and families can talk openly and create a shared vision together.
Family and Couples Therapy:
Most couples and families experience difficulties at some time or other during their lives together. Sometimes you may feel like you are 'treading water' and things aren't moving along as you wish them to. These feelings of 'stuckness' are perfectly normal. Often, all it takes is creating the time and space to talk about things in a way that you haven't tried before. In couples and family therapy we would work together to create a shared understanding of these challenges and discover new ways of moving forward.
As individuals, we can sometimes be faced with situations or people who are impacting on our lives in ways that are unhelpful. We all have the desire to develop and evolve ourselves towards our idea of our 'best selves'. In our therapy work together, we would discuss your current life challenges and where you want to get to. Together, we would work towards you achieving these goals.
I am experienced in many therapeutic approaches and techniques. I am interested in what works for each individual person, couple or family and I tailor my approach accordingly.
Some of the approaches that I have found useful:
- Narrative therapy: Recounting your life story to create positive change
- Systemic couple and family therapy: Viewing your challenges in the context of your significant relationships and utilising these relationships to support healthy change
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy: Using a specific set of skills designed to support moving you away from unhelpful ways of relating to yourself and others
- Compassionate Mind Therapy: Addressing some of the more critical aspects of yourself and becoming more compassionate.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychotherapist
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours (Psychology, Exeter University, UK)
- Masters of Psychology (Exeter University, UK)
- Masters of Systemic Couple and Family Therapy (University College London)
Background and Experience
I have worked with individuals, couples and families primarily in mental health services in England and New Zealand over the past 25 years. I have developed treatment approaches and services that meet the needs of clients presenting with a wide range of issues relating to eating disorders, personality disorders, anxiety, depression, couple and family challenges.
As a supervisor, I enjoy working with 'the whole person'. In our conversations together, we would work to evolve your personal and professional life towards creating a better fit with where you want to be currently and where you want to go.