Children, adolescents, adults, couples, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety ie OCD, generalized anxiety, panic attacks; depression; sexual orientation; grief; sexual, physical and emotional abuse; anger management, relationship issues ie partners, friends, colleagues, gender exploration.
If you are experiencing a crisis, high anxiety levels, stress at home or in your job, if you are suffering an identity crisis, or have split up from your partner and going through emotional pain which you feel stuck in, then it may be time to seek some professional help.
Psychotherapy, is a confidential talking therapy, a practice in which the client and psychotherapist together plan their work and assess its progress. For a wide range of psychological distress, both subjective client reports and more objective measurements show that psychotherapy works. For example, it reduces anxiety, depression, anger that is out of control. You will be likely to understand the sources of your problems and deal with them effectively.
Who uses psychotherapy?
Different people use psychotherapy for a range of different goals/reasons. Some people come to get a clearer understanding of their personalities and how these are affecting their lives; some come because they are experiencing clear distress; whilst others come without quite clearly knowing why but knowing they need a space to reflect and have a trained professional to listen. Some have psychotherapy not because of any overt problems in their lives but for one on one personal development.
Trained to work as a counsellor and psychotherapist, Penelope Thompson uses her Transactional Analysis qualifications and experience in this talking therapy. Each client is an individual and so Penelope's approach is tailored to suit the clients' personality and needs ie some clients' personalities may suit a more cognitive behavioural approach whilst other clients' will suit a psychodynamic approach, some a mix of both. Penelope's work is influenced by many factors, not least her training in Cultural Studies and the Fine Arts. Transactional Analysis is an integration of cognitive-behavioural, psychodynamic and humanistic psychotherapies.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychotherapist
- Member New Zealand Association of Psychotherapists (MNZAP)
- Certified Transactional Analyst
- M.Sc. in Transactional Analysis
- M.A. in Cultural Studies
- B.A. in Fine Art
- Diploma in Individual and Couple Counselling
Background and Experience
- Penelope has worked as a counsellor and psychotherapist for over 17 yrs initially in London and now Auckland
- Trained at the Metanoia Institute London (1997 - 2001).
- Employed at the 'Effra Trust' London - a residential care home for ex-offenders with mental health issues for 9 yrs as a support care worker.
- 'East London Out Project' - London, counsellor for 8 yrs.
- Psychiatric placement at 'Nasebury Court' mental health unit, London
- 'Pace London'- couples counsellor - 1 year
- Private practice, 2004-6, London
- Runs 'Psychotherapy In Auckland' - private psychotherapy practice 2007 - present