Areas of Special Interest
Separation/divorce, relationships, life transitions, depression, domestic violence, stress, anxiety, parenting difficulties, communication, and self-esteem.
I work with you to facilitate changes in thinking and behaviour that you desire.
Some of the things we can achieve together are:
- become aware of your emotions, values and motivations
- understand the connection between your thinking and your behaviour
- identify and change unwanted patterns
- improve your relationships
- manage your stress better
- lean to express yourself
- improve your self-esteem
- improve the way you manage difficult emotions and situations
- change the way you respond to situations
- making difficult decisions
- learning new skills
I work client centered, which means that I will not give you advice but assist you in finding your own solutions. I am genuine, empathetic and listen to you without judgement.
I use mindfulness by asking you to pay attention to your inner experience and I use relaxation exercises, during the session, if it's appropriate.
I use narrative therapy to find out what influence you have over the problem and what influence the problem has over you. This way of “investigating” the influence of the problem separates the problem from you and can help you identify your strengths and abilities in the face of the problem.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Bachelor of Applied Social Services (Counselling)
Background and Experience
I have worked self employed as a counsellor since 2014. In my clinic I have seen clients from different cultural backgrounds and social status.
I have offered volunteer counselling to Barnardos Whangarei for four years.
I am trained as an Ayurvedic diet & lifestyle consultant and have worked as an Ayurvedic consultant in private practice. I have worked as an Ayurvedic therapist offering a variety of bodywork like massage in employment and in private practice.