Adolescents, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Addictions (alcohol, drugs, gambling), depression, grief process, anger management, relationships, criminality, anxiety, coping strategies, addressing guilt & shame, men’s issues, parenting, family support, mindfulness.
I was raised in a family that was heavily affected by substance use. I spent many years immersed in active alcohol and drug use, learning only the skills required to survive life, and forgetting what it was to live. I experienced the loneliness, suffering and hopelessness of addiction, and how this effectively tears families apart.
As a result of my own journey, I hold an understanding of how it feels to be lost within active addiction, and also what it is to find a path out to recovery, and be able to live a free life again. My passion lies with helping others finding their strengths; by walking alongside as together we find your way out of suffering, to re-connect with yourself and with those that care for you.
To begin the process I will listen, to understand who you are, where you have come from and the pain you carry. I can be the person that you share your deepest secrets and fears with, as we have no other connection, no emotional tie, and confidentiality is guaranteed. There is no place for judgment with me as I understand firsthand how powerful addiction can be. I provide the place to take a breath, share your pain, increase your personal insight and learn the skills necessary to regain control of your life.
I have trained to work as a counsellor specialising in addictions. I use a combination of experience, evidence based modalities and psycho-education to form a programme custom built around your individual needs. Motivational theory and at times a cognitive behavioural approach may also be used to encourage the rapid reduction of harmful behaviours, so we can move ahead with the building of personal insight and learning the skills required to step into a new life free from the oppression of active addiction.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Practitioner member of the Drug and Alcohol Practitioners Association of Aotearoa-New Zealand (DAPAANZ)
- Registered Alcohol and Drug Clinician
- Accredited Clinical Supervisor registered with Drug and Alcohol Practitioners’ Association Aotearoa-New Zealand (DAPAANZ)
- Ministry of Health Assessor for NZ Transport Agency Re-Licencing
- Bachelor of Addiction Studies
- Certificate of Addiction and Mental Health Supervision
- Ministry of Health Alcohol and Drug Assessor
Background and Experience
- 14 years of researching, training and working inside the addictions field while learning how to raise and keep my family safe.
- Volunteer work inside Indonesia’s prison system.
- Auckland Prison’s drug treatment unit providing 1:1 counselling and group therapy for inmates
- Community Alcohol and Drug Service, providing alcohol and drug assessments, psycho-educational group therapy and 1:1 therapeutic counselling.
- Providing workshop/educational presentations for clients and staff of Community Probation Service, CADS and professional organisations.
- Private practice: my true passion is with personal 1:1 counselling, working closely with clients and their families on a journey of re-connection and self-exploration.
- Ministry of Health assessments and programme provider with NZ Transport Agency for the re-Licencing of indefinite drivers licence disqualifications
- 16 years of personal recovery from drug and alcohol addiction (ongoing)