Children, adolescents, adults, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Confidence issues, chronic pain, emotional disturbance following trauma, existential concerns, grief/loss/change, generalised anxiety, sensory processing and specific learning disorders, self-esteem, wellbeing and self-development, sexual abuse.
You don't have to be an artist to explore a problem creatively. Arts therapy integrates creative processes and psychological treatments to help explore and express material that is often difficult to put into words.
My therapeutic practice is often used to support people to:
- Release excess energy to reduce tension
- Learn self-soothing behaviour to reduce tension, stress and anxiety
- Learn to manage strong feelings
- Learn to problem-solve
- Develop better communication skills
- Attend to difficult memories and nightmares
- Improve bodily awareness
- Promote coping, and relaxation strategies
- Promote mindfulness and a growth mindset
- Develop skills to improve the ability to focus attention
- Practice working with and exploring different emotions in a safe space
- Practice using and exploring all senses through art making
- Develop, strengthen and integrate a sense of self
I currently offer individual arts therapy sessions from a private room in the central Greymouth. I invite you to come for a session and see if arts therapy feels right for you. We’ll explore your reasons for coming to therapy through art making and talking, and will establish therapeutic goals based on your individual needs.
Arts therapy is a psychotherapeutic approach. It not only cultivates the healing powers of imagination and works by accessing imagination and creativity to generate new models for living and help with the development of a more integrated sense of self. It also mobilizes the social engagement system through creativity, play, improvisation, movement. The safe therapeutic environment we create allows the art-making process to take the lead, whilst deepening our abilities for meaningful exchange.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Clinical Arts Therapist (AthR)
- Member Australian, NZ and Asian Creative Arts Therapy Association (MANZACATA)
- Master of Arts - Arts Therapy (Clinical), First Class Honours
- National Certificate in Adult Education and Training (Diploma, Level 5)
- Diploma of Teaching - Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
Background and Experience
My work experience is diverse and is centred on helping the people I work with bring out the best in themselves. I have in the past and continue to work as an arts therapist, community arts advocate, researcher and educator.
Recently I spent fifteen months providing individual and group arts therapy within the WCDHB. My clients presented with a range of health issues including chronic pain, emotional disturbance following trauma, grief, low self-esteem, generalised anxiety, sensory processing and specific learning disorders including ADHD and those on the autism spectrum and sexual abuse.