Children, adolescents, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
For children/teens: trauma, learning difficulties, autism, bullying.
For adults: marriage counselling, migrant issues,
grief and loss, PTSD, depression, anxiety, stress, addiction, sexual abuse, Christian spiritual direction.
I am experienced helping people of all ages find new ways of managing the issues causing them distress.
I love working with kids and teenagers
. Young people shut down when they know adults are not open to them. I have a way of making them feel like we can really talk together, and once we are talking we can find ways to sort out the things that are worrying them.
I bring much personal, pastoral and professional experience to my work counselling couples
. I know how to help couples find ways to work around their issues and not just give up on their relationship.
I have lived my life bridging different cultures both in Malaysia and NZ, and have a deep understanding of the practical, financial, emotional and spiritual issues migrants face
in their transition from the Mother country to another country. I can help you work through these, and the particular stresses of reluctant migrants, and how to manage when your kids become more western than you would like.
I use a range of counselling methods to help you explore your difficulties and find new solutions.
- Narrative Therapy: will help you see you problems in new ways and find resourceful ways of handling them.
- Cognitive-behavioural Therapy (CBT): focusses on helping you develop strategies and skills so that you have more choices to draw on to respond to people and life.
- Personal Centred Counselling: will provide you with non-judgmental empathy, so that you will feel safe and experience counselling as a trusting place to go to.
- Mindfulness: teaches us the skill of being present. It will help you to stay open to what is happening in your life now, rather than what was happening in the past or worrying about the future.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Provisional Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (ProvMNZAC)
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Diploma Financial Planning
- Diploma Public Relations
Background and Experience
I have 10 years’ experience working in a variety of counselling roles, including: pastoral counselling in Christian churches, counselling teenagers at intermediate and secondary schools, as a group therapist for university students, and in private practice.
I have emigrated to New Zealand with my family from Penang, Malaysia over 12 years ago and am now a NZ Citizen.
I am happy to provide cultural supervision to mental health practitioners who are serving Chinese clients.