Children, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Anger, anxiety, bullying, confusion, depression, difficult overwhelming feelings, difficulties with motivation or decision-making, domestic violence, life changes, life crisis, low resilience, low self-esteem, relationship difficulties, self-criticism, stress, trauma and worries.
Counselling is an opportunity to focus just on you, with an independent, non-judgemental and empathetic second set of ears and eyes. Counsellors use a range of skills and therapeutic approaches to offer a different perspective, increased understanding and this can lead to finding a happier you.
I work with a client-centred focus. This means that I listen, respectfully and without judgement. I will with compassion try to understand how things are through your eyes, and then together we can work towards a positive outcome for you.
We do this together by;
- Identifying concerns and understanding how they are affecting your life.
- Exploring possibilities or new ways to deal with the concerns.
- Recognise patterns and cycles and ways of intervening in these.
- Developing strategies and options for your relationships.
- Recognising and acting on goals, dreams, hopes and expectations that you hold for your life.
- Recognising or reconnecting with your strengths, abilities and qualities and acting on these.
I hold a Bachelor of Counselling, and have had training in many different therapeutic theories. The approach that I use incorporates a mix of these theories to best match your needs. I am committed to ongoing training and keeping up-to date in my practice
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member New Zealand Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Member New Zealand Association of Family Therapy (MNZAFT)
- Member Te Whariki Tautoko
- Member The International Centre For Excellence In Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- ACC Registered Counsellor
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Graduate Diploma in Professional Supervision (Biculturalism in Practice)
Background and Experience
I am lucky to live in lovely Petone, with my husband, two children, and our dog. When not working you might find me struggling to get our garden and house under control, ferrying the kids to sports, or walking the dog.
I have worked in a variety of agencies, as a Counsellor and now work solely in Private Practice.