Adolescents, adults, couples, families.
Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety and Stress, Depression, Relationship Problems, Separation and Child Custody, Parenting Issues/Blended families, Sexual Issues, Anger Management, Increasing Resiliency and Self confidence, Neurobiology of Early Life Trauma, Narcissism and narcissistic abuse.
I provide counselling for adults, adolescents, families and couples.
My counselling approach is based in Collaborative Therapies and includes Narrative Therapy and Solution Focused Brief Therapy. I also draw from Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Neuroscience, Attachment theory and other modalities as appropriate. I will listen to your story without judgment and you will choose your own goals for therapy. We will identify the origin of the problem as well as patterns of thoughts and behaviours that are keeping you stuck. We will focus on future possibilities and solutions, identifying your strengths, skills and abilities that can help you to improve your life.
My couples therapy is based on the Developmental Model and Gottman Method. Together we will identify the issues in the relationship and what you would like to improve. A variety of approaches will be used to help you repair your relationships, rebuild intimacy and connection with each other, improve your communication, increase your understanding of yourself and your partner, develop skills, resolve conflicts and build a stronger, more resilient relationship to take you into the future.
As your counsellor I will:
- Work in partnership with you.
- Consult with you about your goals, directions and the counselling process.
- Combine your knowledge and expertise, with my skills to find your individualised way forward.
- View the problem as separate from you.
- Jointly identify your unique skills, abilities, strengths, values, commitments, and beliefs that will help you.
- Develop practical tools, techniques and resources.
- Promote self-reliance and the use of your own resources in meeting challenges.
- Make all case notes available to you and written in your words with no technical terms.
- Be transparent with my thoughts and allow room for you to disagree.
- Not make assumptions or judgments.
- Enjoy the spontaneity of our conversation.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Master of Applied Practice (1st Class Honours)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling
- Certificate in Professional Mentoring, Supervision and Workplace Coaching
- Diploma in Nursing
- Accredited Facilitator of My FRIENDS Youth and FRIENDS for Life Programs
- Relationship Therapy Developmental Model Level 1 and 2 Certificate
- Relationship Therapy Gottman Method Level 1 Certificate
- Certificate in Supervision Skills for Health and Social Services
Background and Experience
Before qualifying as a counsellor I worked as a registered nurse (18 years), manager of a non-profit organisation, business mentor and life coach. After qualifying as a counsellor, I worked in a community clinic and a secondary school. I’ve now been in private practice exclusively for 9 years. I’m experienced in working with adolescents, families, individuals and couples. I’m a specialised relationship therapist with advanced training. I attend many professional development courses every year to ensure I stay current and deliver the best possible service to all my clients.
I offer clinical supervision to counsellors and other health care professionals. As a supervisor, I am committed to offering a supportive and nourishing experience for supervisees which enables them to continue to continue working safely, ethically and to their fullest potential. Supervision is collaborative journey, where you can reflect on, extend and expand your practice. It provides an opportunity to learn, explore, and discover new ways of thinking, to review skills, contemplate ethical dilemmas, identify appropriate professional development and find the best way of working for you.