Areas of Special Interest
Depression and mood. Self-esteem. Anger. Anxiety and stress. Obsessive compulsive disorder. Trauma. Grief and loss. Relationship/interpersonal difficulties. Physical health issues and pain. Eating related difficulties
There are times in our lives when we find ourselves experiencing emotional difficulties and it can be hard to find a way forward. I believe that therapy can help by giving us greater insight into our difficulties and can assist us in finding new ways of coping and adapting. My aim is to help people to maximise their quality of life and wellbeing. This is a collaborative endeavour and therapy is not always easy but, with commitment and willingness, there can be significant change.
I tailor my approach to each individual. At the forefront of this is developing a trusting and safe therapeutic relationship to allow clients to talk freely about their difficulties at a pace that is right for them. I utilise a number of therapeutic models, the choice of which is guided by best practice guidelines in conjunction with client preference.
The therapy models I draw most heavily upon are:
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
- Compassion Focussed Therapy (CFT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Schema Focussed Therapy (SFT)
I often work with people on a short to medium term basis (e.g. between 4 and 24 sessions), assisting them to make the changes they wish to see. However, for some people the journey and process of change takes more time and I am able to work with people on a longer term basis or provide booster/follow-up sessions as needed.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Clinical Psychologist
- Member NZ College of Clinical Psychologists (MNZCCP)
- Accredited CAT Practitioner, The Australian and NZ Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy (ANZACAT)
- Accredited CAT Practitioner, The Association for Cognitive Analytic Therapy (ACAT)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Natural Science (Specialising in Experimental Psychology). Cambridge University, UK.
- Master of Arts in Social Sciences (Specialising in Psychological Anthropology). University of Chicago, USA.
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University College London, UK.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Analytic Therapy, Sheffield Hallam University, UK.
Background and Experience
Alongside my private practice I currently work for Counties Manukau DHB. I have over 10 years of experience working as a psychologist in the public health sector in the UK and NZ. I have worked across a variety of mental health and physical health settings. I have substantial experience of working with people with complex and enduring mental health difficulties as well as experience of working with those with moderate and mild presentations.
I have a wealth of experience in working with people from different cultures and backgrounds. In addition to my clinical work I have conducted research both in the UK and India. I continually strive to ensure that I abide by culturally safe practices.
Within my various roles over the past 7 years I have had experience of supervising psychologists and other mental health professionals. I have received training in supervision and am an accredited Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) Supervisor.
I am able to offer individual supervision as well as CAT group supervision (numbers permitting).