Areas of Special Interest
I have a special interest in trauma and recovery, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and anxiety.
I believe that the therapeutic relationship (the way we work together) is essential to a good outcome. I like to work with you to build a relationship based on trust, honesty and mutual respect. I take a positive approach based on your strengths and aim to work at a pace that feels right for you. My focus is to support you in improving well-being and resilience, and/or ease distress or resolve crises that may be getting in the way of you living a full and meaningful life.
I can provide psychological support for individuals, 18 years and older with a range of everyday difficulties, as well as common mild to moderate mental health problems:
- Low mood, depression
- Anger, frustration, irritability
- Job difficulties
- Relationship difficulties
- Life transitions, change, adjustment
- Confidence, self esteem
- Emotional regulation and distress tolerance
- Trauma / PTSD / abuse / critical incidents
- Grief and loss
- Sleep problems
- Strengthen wellbeing and individual resilience
I practice evidence-based therapies and primarily use Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Mindfulness-based and relaxation strategies, and solution-focused approaches. I will endeavour to incorporate any important aspects of yourself, such as spiritual or cultural connections, into the work we do together. I will tailor therapeutic needs and goals. I also believe that measuring and managing goals is an essential part of therapy to enable you to reach your desired outcome.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychologist
- Member NZ Psychological Society (MNZPsS)
- Registered for ACC Sensitive Claims Services (for survivors of sexual abuse)
- Master of Arts (Psychology, Honours) The University of Auckland
- Post Graduate Diploma in Arts (Psychology), The University of Auckland
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling Practice, Wellington Institute of Technology
- Diploma in Business (Marketing), The University of Auckland
Background and Experience
Prior to moving into individual therapy in late 2017, I spent eight years working full-time as a psychologist in the New Zealand Defence Force. I worked with individuals and teams from a wide range of backgrounds. During that time, I provided a variety of psychological tools and services to support our military service men and women to perform at their best both locally and overseas. I continued to work part-time as a reserve psychologist until early 2019.