Areas of Special Interest
Trauma, anxiety, guilt and shame, depression, emotional dis-regulation, grief, parenting Issues, PTSD.
My job as your counsellor is to gently help you grow your self-awareness and assist you to an understanding of how difficulties might be impacting on your life and relationships. To do this, I provide a structured, confidential and reflective environment and therapeutic relationship in which we can work together to find your own ways of fully engaging, integrating and healing in your life.
The investment you make now will enable you to lead a fuller life and to gain:
- An increased and anchored sense of self worth
- More resilience and an increased ability to cope with stress or change
- Enhanced attention to meaningful work and personal relationships
- Your unique voice and needs and how to fulfil and maintain these sustainably
- The ability to be more vulnerable, trusting and collaborative
We all have unconscious drives and defenses that lead us to think, feel and behave in certain ways. Sometimes, these can lead to patterns in our life that might not serve us so well.
The process of being seen, heard and valued can help to grow emotional regulation and create positive change. Making sense of thoughts, feelings, old belief systems and dynamics can help us to engage more fully with life and to find solutions within ourselves.
The way I work is to be interested and curious about your experience in the world, to pay attention to details and to reflect this back to you as accurately as I can. Through this, there is the opportunity to begin becoming aware of how your internal and external interactions work in your day to day life and to start to make changes within these. The achievement of these changes can sometimes take time or require deep work and usually cannot be rushed. My approach is informed by person centred therapy and psychodynamic psychotherapy.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- ACC Registered Counsellor
- Bachelor of Visual Arts, AUT
- Masters in Information Management, Victoria (1yr)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Health Sciences, Psychotherapy, AUT
- Diploma in Professional Counselling, NZIPC
- Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellow
Background and Experience
My training has required personal therapy, which has been helpful to know how it feels to be in therapy. My background as well as my training has gifted me with many tools and insights and these have proven to be invaluable in practise.