Adults, couples, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Relationships, mental health, holistic health, life changes, group facilitation, addictions both chemical and process, trauma release. NZTA Alcohol and Drug assessments (to resit driver's license after indefinite disqualification).
Change happens - it is the one certainty in life. You may find change coming internally in the form of dissatisfaction with life or a relationship, increased anxiety, loss of confidence or any number of things or from outside external events like loss of a job or loved one. The trick is to get the skills and support you need to willingly participate in the process - to turn the negative experience into an opportunity, an opportunity for growth and expansion.
I believe that you, the client, are the expert in your life. You are here to grow, to identify and nourish your strengths, to harness your inner power and direction, to hear your soul's call... then you will create a meaningful life, one full of joy, purpose and creativity. Human beings are complex. To heal and grow at a deep level it is vital that the 4 cornerstones of our essential nature are brought into balance: emotional, physical, mental and spiritual. My sacred task is to assist and support you on your journey.
Counselling is a unique experience, it offers a neutral space to explore and offload where you are free from concerns about burdening friends or family, and where you know your business will remain confidential.
My main approaches are:
- Interactive Drawing Therapy (trained to Master level) wonderfully creative
- Motivational Interviewing - excellent for working with ambivalence / inner conflict / addictions
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) - thoughts create things
- Mindfulness - Hakomi techniques, Holistic Clearing Meditations - excellent for accessing and working with "inner parts" of our psyche such as the rebel, the saboteur, the victim etc
- Solution Focused Therapy - rather than a problem oriented life, we focus on solutions and growth
- Narrative Therapy - writing the hero story of your life, especially about past events which have "worn us down"
- NVC Non Violent Communication -communication tools to improve communication and get our needs met
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Practitioner Drug Alcohol Practitioners Association Aotearoa NZ (DAPAANZ)
- Registered Supervisor Drug Alcohol Practitioners Association Aotearoa NZ (DAPAANZ)
- ACC Registered Counsellor
- Ministry of Health Assessor for Indefinite Disqualifications of Drivers License
- Registered Practitioner First Light Flower Essences of New Zealand
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Certificate in Addiction Studies
- Diploma First Light Flower Essences of New Zealand
- Certificate in Supervision (TAPES model) Advanced Supervison Principles, Auckland University
- Certificate Healers Apprenticeship (Medicine Woman Centre for Shamanic Studies)
Background and Experience
I began counselling studies in the late 1980's through Rape Crisis, the local Polytech and 12 Step programmes and went on the get a Degree in Counselling. My spiritual studies began in the 80s also. I have had some incredible teachers and have learnt so much from my clients and students along the way. It is not all about formal studies! Please go to "About Me" on my website www.anadorrington.co.nz
for more details.
I have been supervising counsellors, social workers and body workers for about 12 years. I am a DAPAANZ registered supervisor and also provide supervision online which is useful for supervisees who live in small towns. I take a limited number of supervisees who are in training and wanting to get into NZAC and DAPAANZ membership.
Along with the usual explorations of things such as transference and countertransference, parallel process, self care and ethical challenges, I also like to focus on professional and career growth and "job satisfaction". If you work for an agency I think "external supervision" is a must as it is a safe environment to explore and resolve stresses relating to agency politics which impact on client work eventually.
My supervision style is collaborative, non judgemental and robust where our contract allows for constructive challenge and feedback as to how the time is best used to benefit the supervisee and best enhance their work.
As a supervisee myself (naturally!) I like to be prepared for my supervision sessions to make best use of the time and it is an expectation that my supervisees do the same.
I have had some fabulous supervisors over the years and in my view supervision is one of the highlights of this work.