Children, adolescents, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety, depression, sexual abuse, sexuality issues, relationship problems, family or adoption issues, trauma, grief and loss, stress, post-natal depression, drug and process addiction, dependency or early childhood attachment difficulties....
Marriage & Couples Counselling:
Facilitating healing and restoration of relationships; Dealing with separation and divorce; Assisting couples to move from a co-habiting to a co-parenting relationship; Re partnered couples; Blended families. No matter what stage you are in, I can help you work through the issues and responses that create conflict, and produce the best possible outcome for you and your family ... more
for help to maintain your focus on the task of managing the business while at the same time maintaining your intimate connection and negotiating the changing stages of your family's life ... more
Living together can be tough. I can help you make sense of what is happening, heal your family's hurts, and find your own solutions to the problems you face as a family ... more
Colin is adept at working with emotionally distressed children, adolescents and their families, to develop the child’s capacity for growth and development so they can flourish within their family and peers ... more
Men Enhancing Their Lives:
is a group for Men who want more out of their lives, both personally and professionally and want to develop their capacity to relate to others ... more
"Colin is an established individual and family therapist with a great ability to make effective therapy relationships with a wide range of clients including children, adolescents and their families. He is a specialist in working with trauma and behavioural problems and believes deeply in the intrinsic creative drive in all people toward successful and satisfying lives and relationships. Colin is also widely experienced in providing professional supervision to a wide range of clinicians and managers in the community sector. I recommend him wholeheartedly."
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychotherapist
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Provisional Member of the NZ Association of Psychotherapists (MNZAP)
- Member Australian and Aotearoa New Zealand Psychodrama Association (AANZPA)
- Registered ACC Counsellor
- Counselling provider for Victim Support
- Registered Family Court Counsellor
- Diploma in Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling Alcohol and Drugs
Background and Experience
I am a Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Family Therapist with broad experience working with individuals, groups and organisations in both the public and private health systems. I have been in practice since 1990 and work with adults, adolescents and children. Treatment is purposeful and is targeted through assessment and goal focused processes in both brief intervention and long-term psychotherapy models.
I am currently working in my own private practice, Aurora Associates, where I see a range of clients: individuals, couples, families and children, whose therapy requirements range from long term psychotherapy, to short term, brief intervention counselling.
Colin has provided individual and group supervision for many years. He believes that supervision can be of benefit across all work environments including counsellors, therapists, teams, doctors, medical professionals, facilitators, managers, and especially for front-line administration personnel in services such as healthcare, education, community work and police.
Supervision with Colin will:
- Provide a structured relationship to reflect critically on your work in order to grow as a person, practitioner and professional.
- Provide a forum to reflect on your internal processes and specific thoughts and feelings and actions during your work and how it impacts on the client group.
- Create a context for reflection and learning from your own professional and personal experience.
- Help you grapple with inconsistencies in terms of management styles, and understand systemic and psychodynamic processes that hinder or assist the work being done no matter your work environment/culture.
- Provide a space to reflect on and celebrate the wins, positives and successful outcomes achieved. Insight gained is as much about celebrating the wins as wrestling with conflicts.