Adolescents, adults, families.
Areas of Special Interest
Working with people who have experienced the trauma of sexual abuse and family violence. I have a thorough understanding of complex trauma and the process of recovery. Also, interpersonal well-being, grief, stress, anxiety and depression.
- Counselling to individuals and families
- Supervision of counsellors
- Supervision of counsellors in training
- Supervision of other professionals
My approach is to build a trustworthy relationship where people feel safe to explore ways through the issues which are affecting them. Having worked for many years with people from a range of backgrounds, genders and cultures my practice recognises the inherent dignity of each person. I draw on array of effective therapeutic approaches to meet individual needs, with a fundamental understanding that we have the ability to overcome adversity, create change, resilience and wellness at any point in our lives.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Registered NZAC Supervisor
- ACC Registered Counsellor (Sensitive Claims)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Supervision (NMIT, Nelson)
- Certificate in Counselling for Professional Practice (Christchurch Polytechnic)
Background and Experience
I have managed a successful private counselling practice for 25 years. Throughout my working life I have undertaken regular professional development and robust supervision. This refreshes my practice, ensuring I have an array of traditional and contemporary methods to draw on to meet specific needs of supervisees or clients.
- Working with ACC for Sensitive Claims counselling since1994
- Contract with EAP and other workplace support agencies
- Contract with Homebuilders and other community agencies
- Experience with Critical Incident Debriefing
- Being a trustee for a Charitable Trust which has developed a community house to support whanau wellbeing.
I supervise professionals in many fields, including counselling, education, social work, support agencies, management and medical practice. I bring a combination of experience, combined with a willingness to learn and remain open to changing contexts. I will respect the inherent dignity, culture and experience of you and your workplace.
As we develop a relationship and environment of clear boundaries I will help you:
- find support in challenging situations
- address professional accountability
- restore personal wellbeing
- develop professional resilience and strengthen professional identity
- find insight, understanding and creativity in your work with clients and organisations
Continual professional development and my own supervision refresh my practice and ensure clarity, confidentiality and ethical accountability. I have access to a range of supervisory approaches, and use gentle but challenging enquiry, careful listening and solution-focussed methods. I am currently particularly inspired by reflective learning theory and the potential of a collaborative supervisory relationship.
You are welcome to contact me for an initial half hour free of charge.