Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety, stress, depression, trauma, sexual abuse, loss, immigration, anger, life transitions, parenting, low self-esteem and confidence, and lack of meaning or direction in life.
Sometimes life can be difficult but we know exactly why. Losing a significant other can lead to grief that may be hard to overcome. Surviving traumatic experiences such as an accident, or physical or sexual abuse may lead to fear, anxiety, depression or a sense of detachment. However, sometimes we don’t know the causes of our unease, inability to change, unhappiness, depression, or loss of life’s meaning. In both situations, psychotherapy is very effective, allowing you to have a fulfilled and meaningful life.
I offer a safe, a non-judgemental, confidential, welcoming, environment, where you can share and explore whatever is on your mind, knowing that you will be met with warmth, empathy and acceptance.
In our first meeting, we will discuss what has brought you to see me and then, set goals for our work together. Also, we will talk about your background and history so I have a deeper understanding of who you are and your needs.
My training as a psychodynamic psychotherapist and as an art therapist has equipped me with skills and knowledge to help you to safely explore and express yourself both verbally and non-verbally.
I offer symbolic language, combined with verbal dialogue, to allow you to gain awareness, and insight and so successfully resolve your difficulties. I also use some mindfulness techniques.
We will work together to understand your current sense of being, feelings, patterns of thought, decision-making behaviour, and relationships, which might have been influenced by earlier experiences.
I am available for short or long-term weekly therapy, depending on your aims.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychotherapist
- Member of the NZ Association of Psychotherapists (MNZAP)
- Professional Member of the Australian, New Zealand and Asian Arts Therapy Association (MANZACATA)
- ACC Registered Counsellor for Sensitive Claims
- Graduate Diploma in Health Science (AUT)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Art Therapy
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Science (Psychology major)
Background and Experience
In my private practice, I work with a diverse client group. Difficulties include trauma, sexual abuse, anxiety, depression, loss, identity, insecurity, and anger.
My previous experience includes:
- Psychotherapy clinic at AUT. Client groups with anxiety, depression, anger, low self-esteem and confidence, and loss.
- Tupo Ora - working with clients with eating disorders.
- Hearts and Minds - facilitator of art therapy groups for adults.
Recently, I completed my Master’s dissertation which explored the use of art therapy in work with adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse trauma.