Adolescents, adults, couples, families.
Areas of Special Interest
Grief and loss. Baby loss, miscarriage, still birth, termination. Anxiety, depression. Stress management. Life balance and wellbeing. Life transitions and changes. Employee Assistance. Trauma. Harmful sexual behaviour. Eating issues.
I have considerable counselling experience and expertise, gained in over 20 years of practice at the coalface of what it is to be human, to struggle and to overcome difficulties! I am warm, empathetic, safe, ethical, client centred, and strengths based in my counselling approach. As we work together to explore whatever it is that distresses or concerns you, I aim to put you at ease, help you gain increased confidence, skills, positivity and balance, and better communication and connectedness to others.
I can help you:
- Face challenges
- Navigate losses
- Address unhealthy patterns of behaviour
- Increase your self-awareness and your appreciation of your vulnerabilities and strengths as a person
- Resolve conflict
- Plan and achieve goals
- Improve your communication skills
- Develop better relationships
- Build resilience
- Facilitate positive change in your life.
I draw upon a range of approaches when working with clients, tailoring my approach to their specific, personal needs and presenting problems. These include:
- Person centred counselling
- Strengths based counselling
- Grief and loss models
- Developmental Model of Relationship Counselling (Bader Pearson)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Trauma Therapy
- Harmful Sexual Behaviour Models
- Professional Supervision (NZAC Advanced Supervision)
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Member Celebrants Association of New Zealand
- Master of Social Work (A)Hons
- New Zealand Association of Counsellors Advanced Supervision
- Professional Supervision Certification, NZ Department of Corrections
Background and Experience
I have lengthy work experience in both social services and counselling, which has taught me much about the human condition, what moves and shakes us and what gives us strength, hope and resilience. I have counselled a very wide range of people have a breadth of experience in individual, couples, family and group work. I have managed a team of counselling staff, along with counselling students and researchers and have lectured in counselling. I have also worked in court restorative justice services for sexual abuse. I am a qualified Professional Supervisor of other counsellors, social services managers and community workers and I am a registered independent Marriage Celebrant. I currently work in private practice.
As an experienced senior counsellor, I enjoy providing Professional Supervision and mentoring for other counsellors, managers and field workers. Professional Supervision allows us to reflect on our practice in a safe space, to access support and guidance and to safely discuss any personal or professional issues affecting our work.