Adolescents, adults, couples, families.
Areas of Special Interest
I am a generalist counsellor with experience in most issues including; relationships, grief, depression, anxiety/stress, trauma and abuse, parenting, life changes, anger, work place issues, family issues, self esteem,bullying, communication.
Counselling is a unique experience for everyone - that's because you, your relationship or your family are all unique! Counselling can help you work out why you are feeling and/or acting in a certain way and help you in changing unhelpful mental habits, non beneficial patterned behaviours and disabling thoughts and emotions.
Counselling is about providing you with a safe and trusting environment whereby you feel comfortable talking about issues that are of concern to you and/or your loved ones. Counselling is a private and confidential process whereby everything talked about is kept confidential.
Counselling can help you:
- explore emotions, thoughts and behaviours which may be puzzling, uncomfortable or distressing for you.
- understanding more about your thoughts, emotions and behaviours can help you gain more control over them.
- improve your relationship with yourself and others including your family/whanau and loved ones.
- acquaint yourself with what you value in life and find new meanings, understandings and awareness of yourself and others.
- find peace, contentment and fulfillment through reducing anxiety and expanding possibilities
- create for yourself and your family a fulfilling life
I believe the most important aspect when undertaking counselling is the quality of the therapeutic relationship between the client and the therapist. You can be assured of my unconditional regard and respect throughout the counselling process. My philosophical stance to therapy is from a social constructionist perspective using the narrative metaphor. I favour this stance as it acknowledges cultural and contextual considerations and language and discourse as a form of power. Often these considerations subjugate and marginalise people, often unbeknown to them. I am trained to help people recognise these considerations and challenge them. I have a sound understanding of a number of therapeutic appraoches and tailor my approach to each client.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Registered Social Worker
- Member of Aotearoa NZ Association of Social Workers (MANZASW)
- ACC Registered Counsellor
- Victim Support Registered Counsellor
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Psychology, Waikato University)
- Master of Counselling (First Class Hons, Waikato University)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Family Counselling (Waikato University)
- Graduate Certificate in Supervision (Waikato Institute of Technology)
- Master of Applied Social Work (Hons, Massey University)
- Accredited Triple-P Parenting Educator (Level 4 group and individual programmes)
Background and Experience
I am an experienced and skilled counsellor and supervisor, having worked in this area for twenty years. I have experience working with and facilitating mens anger management groups, counselling families who are stuggling with parenting and family issues, counselling youth, developing and facilitating programmes for women who experience depression. A passion of mine is parenting education and supporting parents to become the best parents they can be. I have 12 years experience counselling individuals, couples and families gained in a small community counselling service, the last 4 years working in a management position. More recently I have worked for an EAP provider gaining experience in delivering eap programmes in the Wellington area.
I hold a Graduate Certificate in Supervision which means I have studied and had the opportunity to use a variety of supervisory approaches over the course of one year of study at a tertiary institute. When assisting supervisees with ethical decision making I use a recognised Ethical Decision Making Framework.
If you are a manager of a social services agency, a counsellor, a social worker, a student counsellor/social worker or a social services practitioner or support worker, I can provide you with Professional/Clinical Supervision.
I am happy to negotiate with you an approach to supervision that will most benefit your role/position as it is important to me that you take an active part in your supervision process.
On engaging in professional supervision with me, we will negotiate a contract which will outline our respective obligations and expectations. This is standard practice when engaging in a supervisory process