Adolescents, adults, couples, families, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
I can help you with anxiety, depression, phobias, relationship and family issues, life changes, bullying, trauma, grief, identity, obsessive behaviours, conflict resolution, career, purpose, problem solving, stress management and direction.
The research suggests the quality of connection with me is the best indicator of positive outcomes. Therefore I focus on building a trusting relationship with you so we can create a container to do the work. I endeavour to help you feel comfortable, listen carefully, understand what you are wanting, let you set your own pace and help you feel relaxed enough to be able to express. Then I focus on helping you understand, face, accept, manage and solve the conundrum you want help with. I will negotiate the direction, speed, and method of our work together. I bring elements of warmth, soothing, kindness, validation, challenge, respect and heart focus. I ask for feedback at the end of the session to ensure that I am giving value to your time.
I have several ways of working:
- Solution Focussed helps you look at your strengths and really create a vision of how it could be and find ways of moving towards it.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is really good for helping shift anxiety and depression like symptoms.
- Mindfulness helps with the acceptance of the moment which in itself can empower you to make new choices and find ways of coping with negative emotions or sensations.
- Narrative therapy aids understanding the story we have created about our life and allows new meanings to emerge.
- Rogerian Therapy helps you see and make sense of how you are feeling.
- Existential Therapy is useful for finding the why, discovering meaning and creating purpose.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Post Graduate Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Bachelor of Science (Physics)
Background and Experience
I have spent over 5 years working in primary care working with referrals from GPs in the local community. I have worked with a vast range of issues and a wide portion of our community. I have spent 10 years running Mens' groups. I have seven years of experience working with young men as a rites of passage facilitator. I have set up a Mens' Centre and run courses for men on personal development. If I think what you face is outside of my competence I will help you find someone who will be able to support you.