Adolescents, adults, groups.
Counselling is a particular kind of professional relationship, based upon respect, compassion, and an unconditional, non-judgemental valuing of you as a person. Counselling is well suited to nurturing growth and facilitating change.
A counsellor is a trained professional who can:
- walk alongside you with care, respect, and attentiveness - an interested and compassionate companion there to support you along this journey of life;
- support you through a process of problem solving, decision making, or active contemplation - useful at times of external change or transition, or when you have big life 'stuff' to process and work through;
- support you to bring about positive change in your own life - for example, managing stress, overcoming anxiety, healing from trauma, developing confidence and self-compassion, or changing particular behaviours or habits;
- support you through a process of internal enquiry, exploration, and personal growth - helping you to increase your understanding of yourself and your relationships with others.
Of course, life isn't always as simple or clearly defined as this list might suggest. Sometimes you may not know precisely what it is you're looking for. Counselling can support you in the first instance to gain clarity.
I draw primarily on relational, humanistic and contemporary analytic approaches to counselling and psychotherapy.
You can talk about whatever is on your mind. I’ll listen. Together we will work to develop a greater understanding of you - of your thoughts, feelings and actions - of your struggles or challenges - of what makes you tick - of the patterns or themes that govern your life.
Our work together will help you to explore your experience of life and of relationships - in your life ‘out there’, and also within the here-and-now of the counselling relationship - to make connections and develop meaning you may not have discovered on your own. With this comes the possibility of choice, and of change.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member, Registered with NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Student Member NZ Association of Psychotherapists (NZAP)
- Student Member International Transactional Analysis Association (ITAA)
- ACC Registered Counsellor (Sensitive Claims)
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Graduate Certificate in Human Development
- Diploma in Therapeutic Treatment Massage
- Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical
Background and Experience
I was born and raised in Hamilton and have a background in mechanical engineering and military service. From 2010 to 2015 I travelled extensively. Upon returning to New Zealand I completed a Bachelor of Counselling. Now into my sixth year of counselling practice, I work full time in private practice in the Wellington CBD. I continue to be well supported in my professional development, and am currently extending my training as a psychotherapist.