Adolescents 16+, adults, couples, supervisees.
Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety, depression, stress, relationships, communication, work issues, grief & loss, illness, trauma, sexual issues, doubt, guilt, self-acceptance, lack of meaning, unconscious beliefs & habits, bodymind awareness, mindfulness, meditation, spirituality.
My work combines counselling and experiential psychotherapy. I use a blend of Western Psychology, Eastern Mindfulness and Body-centred Hakomi therapy. Recent findings in neuroscience inform aspects of my work.
Therapy can help you to:
- Understand tensions carried in the body
- Identify needs and values
- Develop practical strategies for lowering anxiety and stress
- Release unproductive attitudes, habit, patterns, behaviours and beliefs
- Heal developmental wounds
- Heal past trauma
- Improve relationships
- Improve communication
- Understand yourself
- Build self-acceptance
- Treat our self with kindness and compassion
- Grow confidence and lift mood
- Find an internal attitude of aliveness and inner calm
- Know your essential self
My intention is to listen, support change and self-understanding using mindfulness as a guiding principle. Neuroscience has shown us that with the development of the mindful observer we can develop new neurological connections, reshaping the brain and allowing us to dis-identify with the repeating pattern of struggle. This gives rise to the opportunity to find new responses to situations and to settle more easily into our essential self, enabling us to lead confident lives with increased levels of calm and contentment.
As a certified counsellor and Hakomi experiential therapist I enable a person to discover what they value and what is right for them beyond old fixed attitudes and beliefs about themselves, relationships and the world.
Sessions are collaborative, I work with an attitude of curiosity openness and compassion and hope to foster this within the sessions so clients can achieve their goals and live a more fulfilling life.
I take a mindfulness-based approach to self-understanding, incorporating body and mind to bring the wisdom of the body to the brain. I myself practise mindfulness and meditation and take a holistic view of the human experience.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Certified Member of Hakomi Institute of America
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology & Education)
- Certified Counsellor
- Certified Hakomi Therapist
Background and Experience
I have 23 years of experience in Counselling and mindfulness based Psychotherapy with roles at:
- Courtenay Medical - Therapist
- Wellington Women’s Collective - Therapist
- Natural Health Centre Wellington - Therapist
- NZ School of Massage - Tutor
- ISIS Smoking Cessation Program - Course Director
- Life Enhancement Well-Being Program - Course Director
I am available to provide supervision to counsellors, allied health practitioners and case managers. I bring my experience as a counsellor, mindbody therapist and massage therapist to my work as a supervisor.