Adolescents (14+), adults, couples.
Areas of Special Interest
Relationship and family issues, depression and anxiety, identity issues, sexual and gender diversity, grief and loss, childhood trauma, personality issues.
You may be finding it hard to:
- Feel confident and hopeful
- Manage stress and anxiety
- Cope with extreme feelings
- Feel secure and content
- Work through uncertainty or challenge
- Feel satisfied with relationships
- Deal with a bereavement or loss
You may have tried other interventions and felt that you did not get to understand or shift the underlying issues. You may be struggling with uncertainty or discontent about your life and relationships.
Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy can help you to:
Brief Psychoanalytic Therapy:
- Gain self-esteem through understanding yourself
- Face trauma and gain self-acceptance
- Look after your needs and feel more connected to others
- Find hope and meaning in life’s experiences
- Move on and make better choices
- Find contentment
Can be useful for gaining an overview and insight into current struggles and how these may have developed. This can bring relief and increased clarity about what might be needed to move on in life.
Therapy and Counselling for Young People
My aim is to meet a young person just as they are in the present moment. Developing a therapeutic space for thinking together about complex emotions, thoughts and behaviour can become deeply supportive and life-changing.
I provide a non-judgemental setting to which you bring your feelings and thoughts. The aim is to learn to think and experience in new ways, together with a therapist trained to listen, observe and help you to understand. This can facilitate a deep level of support and challenge in the sessions, from which shifts and change can be created in your life.
Becoming who we are as an individual often leads us into areas of uncertainty or fear. This approach allows insight to be gained into ourselves and our connections to others, as well as working through anxieties and inner conflict. This can gradually facilitate the loosening of rigid patterns and can lead to emotional and psychological development.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Registered Psychotherapist
- Member of the NZ Association of Psychotherapists (MNZAP)
- Masters degree in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (Tavistock Clinic, London)
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling (a training accredited by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Working with Groups and Organisations (Tavistock Clinic, London)
Background and Experience
I have been practising psychoanalytic psychotherapy and psychodynamic counselling since 2002. In London, I provided psychotherapy for adult outpatients in the National Health Service, psychodynamic counselling and group work in agencies for young people and secondary school pupils. In New Zealand I have provided adult psychotherapy in an agency specialising in childhood sexual abuse and trauma.
Please contact me
to discuss making an appointment.
Psychoanalytic supervision for trainees and psychotherapists.