Adolescents, adults, couples, groups.
Areas of Special Interest
Anxiety and stress, depression, self-esteem & wellbeing, relationship or workplace issues, grief and loss, personal development, anger and assertiveness training, trauma and PTSD, addictions and abuse – physical, sexual, emotional and spiritual
There is no problem or experience too big or too small to bring to counselling. My counselling room provides a safe confidential space to talk with someone who will not judge you and will treat you respectfully.
We will begin by building a trustworthy relationship where you will feel safe to explore the issues causing you anguish and then identify goals. I can’t take problems away from you, but it's my hope that working in this space together we can find new ways to approach problems. Having worked for many years with people from a wide range of backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities, I recognise the inherent dignity of each person. You will be met with Kindness, Respect, Empathy and Compassion.
I have a fundamental belief that we have an ability to overcome adversity, create change and build resilience and wellness at any point in our lives. My training, life and work experiences enable me to work alongside you as you identify and let go of limiting thoughts and beliefs, overcome challenges, set goals and move forward in becoming the person that you want to be.
I am skilled at working from a brief solution focused therapy and most of my clients recognise significant shifts within the first three sessions.
My counselling style is transparent and practical. I use an integrative approach to best suit your personal and unique qualities. My foundation training is person-centered and solution focussed. Person centered therapy is based on the attitudes of empathy, genuineness and unconditional positive regard.
Added to this foundation, I individually tailor the modalities of cognititve-behavioural therapy (CBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) and existential therapies to each client. Due to my background working with addictions I use motivational interviewing.
As well as talking therapies, I may engage sand tray therapy and promote skills development, e.g. mindfulness or assertiveness training.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Practitioner Member of the Drug and Alcohol Practitioners Association of Aotearoa-New Zealand (DAPAANZ)
- Masters of Counselling (1st Class Honors)
- Post Graduate Diploma Health Science (Dual Diagnosis)
- Post Graduate Certificate Supervision
- Advanced Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Studies
- Koru Mindfulness teacher
Background and Experience
Additional to my theoretical background, I have worked passionately as a counsellor for 20+ years, in a variety of settings.
- Community and mental health, and alcohol and drug services - 8 years
- SOS (Rape Crisis) counsellor, facilitator, trainer - 10 years
- health and counselling centres within two Auckland universities – past 9 years
- previous private practice in Northland – 12 years
- delivered psychoeducational groups on a range of topics – 20+ years
- facilitated anger management programmes to individuals and groups
- taught 200+ people the fundamental skills of meditation and mindfulness
I have provided supervision to training and registered counsellors, as well as colleagues. I provide a space for reflection, professional development and personal growth. My supervision style is curious, non-judgemental, challenging and stimulating.