Areas of Special Interest
Addiction, anxiety, depression, anger, stress, relationships/communication, grief/loss, life changes, self-esteem/confidence.
I offer short and long-term counselling. As an experienced and empathic counsellor I offer:
- An approach that is warm, respectful and non-judgemental
- A space for you to explore thoughts and feelings so that you can gain greater understanding and insight
- To work alongside you to find new ways of coping, including learning and developing new skills
- Support to identify strengths, goals and values
- Support to develop a life that is rich and meaningful to you
My counselling approach is embedded in Client-Centered Practice, which holds the view that people are the experts in their own life. I am also able to integrate other modalities including Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Schema Therapy, and Motivational Interviewing. How these modalities are used will depend on your unique experience.
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology, Criminology)
Background and Experience
In addition to my private practice I work for a non-profit organisation that provides therapy to children, adolescents and adults engaging in harmful behaviours, and prior to this I worked for a Government counselling service specialising in addiction and mental health issues. I have experience working with people from diverse backgrounds, cultures, ages, sexual orientations and lifestyles.
Prior to my counselling training I have done mental health support and victim support work.
I abide by the New Zealand Association of Counsellors Code of Ethics and have regular and ongoing supervision, both of which support me to work in a safe and ethical manner.